Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ergo Proxy - Slave of Chaos


    Real Mayer is the main character, and is in charge of investigating a series of brutal murders apparently committed by AutoReivs infected with the Cogito virus.

    In an interview,[.pdf] Dai Satō (writer) describes the project:
"It is set in the future. A group of robots become infected with something called the Kojiro [sic] virus, and become aware of their own existence. So these robots, which had been tools of humans, decide to go on an adventure to search for themselves. They have to decide whether the virus that infected them created their identity, or whether they gained their identity through their travels. This question is meant to represent our own debate over whether we become who we are because of our environment, or because of things that are inherent in us. The robots are all named after philosophers: Derrida and Lacan and Husserl."

Anime: Ergo Proxy - Click to Watch the Series







After watching Ergo Proxy I must say that this is one of the most enjoyable series I've watched yet. The story is so complex and can at times be very agonizing because you are just so clueless as to whats going on. Then usually by the end of the episode or by the next episode all of your questions like, "What the hell is going on!?" will be answered. Why did I enjoy this series so much?

    First, this series is a real psychological mind boggling experience. I don't see too many series that make me question things about whats going on until the very end, yet Ergo Proxy did it. Even during the last episode, I was asking myself the same question as I had been throughout the entire series, "What the hell is going on!?" This kind of experience kept me wanting more and left me trying to fill holes myself, which is exactly the kind of thing that I enjoy. Something that makes me think for myself and makes me WANT to figure out whats going on or say, "Hmm, I wonder what that meant.."

    The setting of the story is another thing that made me enjoy this so much, a post apocalyptic world where everyone is being kept in the dark and left wondering whats just beyond their grasp. Theres not much that I can say about this plus for me, it's just something that I enjoy. If you enjoy stories set in this kind of environment, you'll like this aspect of Ergo Proxy.

    Ergo Proxy makes use to a lot of different aspects of psychology and history, which is a good thing. I believe it was only the first fourteen episodes, but at the end of each respective episode there would be about two minutes when they would reflect back on things throughout what you had just seen. It was a very nice touch that I felt was something more series should do. It basically would tell you things that the author of the series/story used as a reference or what something that occurred in the episode was based on. I thoroughly enjoy history and psychology so this aspect of Ergo Proxy really appealed to me.

    The character development didn't fall short of my expectations either. It was done quite nicely. I wish I could go into further detail about it, but apparently I'm not supposed to say anything to spoil the series and I'm not quite sure how to go about this aspect without doing just that.

    The animation was extremely well done. The way some of the faces are drawn may look a little odd at first, but I didn't mind it at all. It matches the show quite well and really compliments everything around it. Everything that was done in this series, animation wise, was completely believable. Sure, there are somethings that you just know can't be true/made from something real, but it just feels true/real with everything else about the series combined.
 

Unchained

    Nothing like an awesome to MMV (manga music video) to mix things up. Superb editing on this video, never having a still image and run...