Thursday, January 7, 2010

Manga Music Video - Berserk

The Best Manga EVER! Period

The art, the characters, the story, the mythology, and it is still in production. Having premiered as a prototype of Berserk in 1988, it had its first volume officially published on 26 November 1990, and is still ongoing. Lately there has been long time periods between releases. (Damn I wish Volume 310 would release already)
Berserk's setting is inspired by mediaeval Europe. The story is of both a fantasy and horror, as it explores both the best and worst of human nature. Both the manga and anime are noted for their heavy violence.
Having age on it's side, it is one series that has inspired many more writers. Allot of manga and anime creators have noted Berserk for being in inspiration to them. Anime News Network have given an A+ rating across all categories.
I relate to Berserk the most through Griffith, because there are ideals I believe in that I would do anything for and which my life would be meaningless without. I would not let anyone sway me from them. There are many other ways in which I relate to Griffith, but that's the big one.

I also relate strongly to Schierke because her spirituality is very close to my own. I identify with her closeness to nature, and her horror at many humans' isolation from the natural world and denial of our connection/interdependence with all things tangible and intangible.

So, the themes surrounding these characters and observing/understanding how they deal with/work through these issues is very relevant to my life.

What is Berserk all about? (my interpretation)

There's no right answer. Everyone has their own opinion.

I am obviously leaving a lot out right now because I want people to respond, and I don't want to put all my cards on the table--but I think that this book is about finding meaning to life. Feeling substantial. Just feeling...

Gatts is trying to find happiness. Some peace, after being engulfed in a world of constant violence, fighting and pain. When we read this story, we hope that he finds that. It seems IMPOSSIBLE, but we want to see him find happiness--not just for him, but for ourselves. If there's this person (Gatts) who can overcome all this chaos, there has to be a way for us to fight all the insanity in our own lives...right?

I think it's also about Griffith trying to find himself. Griffith was so sure about his life path from the beginning. He's so focused, so tenacious--nothing can get him off track, and something as simple as love (NO HOMO...but he loved Gatts and I know this will be controversial, but I think that)--not only throws him completely off track, but destroys his life, basically annihilates any possibility of him to live even an average life (I mean after a year of torture--he was reduced to a vegetable status basically).

Griffith was physically, emotionally, and mentally vulnerable when the apostles came--and (...people are def going to disagree with this) I think he wants to have Gatts and Caska and the band back in his life, but he knows its not possible.

He reincarnated himself and has created this unstoppable army and brought together a crew of impossibly ridiculous warriors to see if getting his dream was worth it. And he wants to accomplish his dream even more now for them, so at least putting them through their hell got him to his goal--to what he killed all of them for.

And (people are really going to disagree with this) deep down he wants them to defeat him, because than in a way--they care about him...even if they hate him, putting so much effort into bringing him down, it would be some kind of closure for Griffith.

I know some of these ideas are out there, I am not even sure if I totally am convinced on them. But I've been thinking about it...and there is just so much depth to this series(had to try).

My Relationship with Berserk

I relate to Berserk the most through Griffith, because there are ideals I believe in that I would do anything for and which my life would be meaningless without. I would not let anyone sway me from them. There are many other ways in which I relate to Griffith, but that's the big one.

I also relate strongly to Schierke because her spirituality is very close to my own. I identify with her closeness to nature, and her horror at many humans' isolation from the natural world and denial of our connection/interdependence with all things tangible and intangible.

So, the themes surrounding these characters and observing/understanding how they deal with/work through these issues is very relevant to my life.


Unchained

    Nothing like an awesome to MMV (manga music video) to mix things up. Superb editing on this video, never having a still image and run...